Nikon’s first FX format camera to feature high-definition movie recording offers photographers a whole new level of creative flexibility. The D3S features a highly sensitive 12.1 megapixel FX format CMOS sensor that boasts an ISO range of 200 to 12800. The D-movie function offers superior movie capture in stereo* sound and features a Save Selected frame option to speed up productivity. Nikon’s acclaimed 51-point AF system offers high sensitivity in low-light and superb performance when tracking fast moving subjects. An advanced image sensor cleaning function reduces the impact of dust spots and three alternative crop modes enhance shooting flexibility. The EXPEED image processing engine and expansive buffer enables you to shoot up to 9 fps for extended bursts. Protected by a tough, environmentally-sealed magnesium alloy body, the D3S redraws the boundaries for professional action photography.
*Compatible stereo microphone required.
12.1 megapixel FX (full-frame) CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range and 12-channel readout.
ISO 200 - 12800: extendable up to 102,400 (equivalent) with the Hi-3 setting and down to ISO 100 (equivalent) with the Lo-1 setting.
9fps consecutive shooting (11fps in DX Crop mode).
D-Movie records high-definition (HD) movie clips in stereo sound (Compatible stereo microphone required). Features Edit start/stop and Save selected frame functions, as well as AF support in Tripod mode.
Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system: individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.
920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.
Three Crop Modes: DX format 5:4 ratio and 1.2x. The DX crop mode can be automatically enabled when a DX lens is attached.
In-camera RAW processing saves time in post-production by enabling JPEG compression, Size, White Balance, Exposure Compensation, Picture Control, Noise Reduction, Color space and Vignette Control image settings to be applied to RAW (NEF) files in the camera.
Quiet shooting mode: perfect for discrete photography, the sound of the camera's mirror return mechanism is noticeably reduced.
Highly accurate, durable Kevlar/carbon fibre-composite shutter unit: standard rating of 300, 000 cycles, with a maximum shutter speed of 1/8,000 sec and flash synchronization at up to 1/250 sec.
HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
Durable Magnesium alloy body built to withstand the rigors of the harshest of environments.
Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.
Single-lens reflex digital camera
Nikon F mount (with AF coupling and AF contacts)
Equivalent to angle produced by lens focal length (1.5 times when DX format is selected)
CMOS sensor, 36.0 × 23.9 mm; Nikon FX format
Image Sensor Cleaning, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX 2 software required).
Image Size (pixels)
1. FX format (36×24): 4,256 × 2,832 (large), 3,184 × 2,120 (medium), 2,128 × 1,416 (small) 1.1.2× (30×20): 3,552 × 2,368 (large), 2,656 × 1,776 (medium), 1,776 × 1,184 (small) 1. DX format (24×16): 2,784 × 1,848 (large), 2,080 × 1,384 (medium), 1,392 × 920 (small) 1. 5:4 (30×24): 3,552 × 2,832 (large), 2,656 × 2,120 (medium), 1,776 × 1,416 (small)
1) NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed, or uncompressed, 2) TIFF (RGB), 3) JPEG: JPEG-Baseline compliant with fine (approx. 1:4), normal (approx. 1:8), or basic (approx. 1:16) compression (Size priority); Optimal quality compression available, 4) NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single photograph recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG formats
Picture Control System
Four setting options: Standard, Neutral, Vivid, Monochrome; each option can be adjusted
CompactFlash (Type I, compliant with UDMA)
Slot 2 can be used for overflow or backup storage or for separate storage of NEF (RAW) and JPEG images; pictures can be copied between cards
Compliant with DCF 2.0, DPOF, Exif 2.21, and PictBridge
Eye-level pentaprism single-lens reflex viewfinder
FX (36x24): Approx. 100% (vertical/horizontal), 1.2x (30x20): Approx. 97% (vertical/horizontal), DX (24x16): Approx. 97% (vertical/horizontal), 5:4 (30x24): Approx. 100% (vertical) and approx. 97% (horizontal)
Approx. 0.7x (50mm f/1.4 lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1)
18 mm (-1.0 m-1)
-3 to +1 m-1
Type B BriteView Clear Matte VI screen with AF area brackets
When Pv (depth-of-field preview) button is pressed, lens aperture can be stopped down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or value selected by camera (P and S modes)
Instant return, electronically controlled
1) Type G or D AF NIKKOR1: All functions supported (PC Micro-NIKKOR does not support some functions) 2) DX NIKKOR: All functions supported except FX-format (36x24)/1.2x (30×20)/5:4 (30x24) image size 3) Other AF NIKKOR2: All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering II 4) AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II 5) Non-CPU: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; color matrix metering and aperture value display supported if user provides lens data (AI lenses only) Electronic rangefinder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster.
Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
1/8,000 to 30 s in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV, bulb, X250
Flash Sync Speed
X = 1/250 s; flash synchronization at up to 1/250 s
Single frame, continuous low speed, continuous high speed, quiet shutter-release, self-timer, mirror up
Frame Advance Rate (CIPA Guidelines)
• DX (24×16): Up to approx. 9 fps (CL) or approx. 9 to 11 fps (CH) • Other image areas: Up to approx. 9 fps
Electronically controlled timer with duration of 2, 5, 10 or 20 s
TTL full-aperture exposure metering using 1,005-pixel RGB sensor
1) Matrix: 3D color matrix metering II (type G and D lenses); color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses); color matrix metering (non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data) 2) Center-Weighted: Weight of 75% given to 12-mm circle in center of frame, diameter of circle can be changed to 8, 15 or 20 mm, or weighting can be based on average of entire frame (non-CPU lenses use 12-mm circle or average of entire frame) 3) Spot: Meters 4-mm circle (about 1.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)
1) 0 to 20 EV (Matrix or center-weighted metering) 2) 2 to 20 EV (Spot metering) (ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, at 20°C/68°F)
Exposure Meter Coupling
Combined CPU and AI
1) Programmed Auto (P) with flexible program, 2) Shutter-Priority Auto (S), 3) Aperture-Priority Auto (A), 4) Manual (M)
±5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV
Exposure locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
ISO 200 to 12800 in steps of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV; can also be set to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 or 1 EV (ISO 100 equivalent) below ISO 200 or to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 2 or 3 EV (ISO 102400 equivalent) above ISO 12800; auto ISO sensitivity control available
Can be selected from [Auto], [Extra high], [High], [Normal], [Low] or [Off]
2 frames using selected value for one frame or 3 to 5 frames using preset values for all frames
Nikon Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection; 51 focus points (including 15 cross-type sensors); AF fine tuning possible
-1 to +19 EV (ISO 100 at 20°C/68°F)
1) Autofocus: Single-servo AF (S); Continuous-servo AF (C); predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status 2) Manual focus (M) with electronic rangefinder
Can be selected from 51 or 11 focus points
1) Single-point AF 2) Dynamic-area AF [number of AF points: 9, 21, 51, 51 (3D-tracking)] 3) Auto-area AF
Focus can be locked by pressing AE-L/AF-L button or by pressing shutter-release button halfway (Single-servo AF)
1) TTL: i-TTL balanced fill-flash and standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR using 1,005-pixel RGB sensor are available with SB-900, 800, 600 or 400 2) Auto aperture (AA): Available with SB-900, 800 and CPU lens 3) Non-TTL auto (A): Available with SB-900, 800, 28, 27 or 22S 4) Range-priority manual (GN): Available with SB-900 and 800
1) Front curtain sync 2) Slow sync 3) Rear-curtain sync 4) Red-eye reduction 5) Red-eye reduction with slow sync
2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV
Lights when Speedlight such as SB-900, SB-800, SB-600, SB-400, SB-80DX, SB-28DX or SB-50DX is fully charged; blinks after flash is fired at full output
ISO 518 hot-shoe with sync and data contacts, and safety lock
Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)
Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-900, SB-800 or SU-800 as commander and SB-900, SB-800, SB-600 or SB-R200 as remotes; Auto FP High-Speed Sync and modeling illumination supported with all CLS-compatible flash units except SB-400; Flash Color Information Communication and FV lock supported with all CLS-compatible flash units
ISO 519 sync terminal with locking thread
Auto (TTL white balance with main image sensor and 1,005-pixel RGB sensor), Incandescent, Fluorescent (7 options), Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, Shade, preset manual (up to 5 values can be stored), and color temperature setting (2,500 K to 10,000 K), all with fine tuning
White Balance Bracketing
2 to 9 frames in steps of 1, 2 or 3
• Tripod: Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame • Hand-held: TTL phase-detection AF with 51 focus points (including 15 cross-type sensors)
50 Hz and 60 Hz
Frame Size (pixels)
1,280 × 720/24 fps, 640 × 424/24 fps, 320 × 216/24 fps
Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted
ISO 200 to 12800 (ISO 6400 to Hi 3 in high-sensitivity movie mode)
3-in., approx. 921k-dot (VGA), 170-degree wide-viewing-angle, 100% frame coverage, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD with brightness adjustment
Full-frame and thumbnail (4, 9 or 72 images) playback with playback zoom, movie playback, slide show, histogram display, highlight display, auto image rotation, image comment (up to 36 characters), and voice memo input and playback
NTSC or PAL; simultaneous playback from both the video output and on the LCD monitor available
Type C HDMI connector; camera monitor turns off when HDMI cable is connected
Stereo mini-pin jack (3.5-mm diameter)
10-pin Remote Terminal
Can be used to connect optional remote control, GPS Unit GP-1 or GPS device compliant with NMEA 0183 version 2.01 and 3.01 (requires optional GPS Cable MC-35 and cable with D-sub 9-pin connector)
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
One Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a/EL4
AC Adapter EH-6 (optional)
1/4 in. (ISO 1222)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 159.5 x 157 x 87.5 mm/6.3 x 6.2 x 3.4 in.
Approx. 1,240 g/2 lb. 12 oz. without battery, memory card, body cap or accessory shoe cover
Under 85% (no condensation)
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL4a, Quick Charger MH-22, USB Cable UC-E4, Audio Video Cable EG-D2, Camera Strap AN-DC5, Body Cap BF-1B, Accessory Shoe Cover BS-2, Eyepiece DK-17, Battery Chamber Cover BL-4, USB Cable Clip, Software Suite CD-ROM
Main Optional Accessories
Wireless Transmitter WT-4A/B/C/D/E4, GPS Unit GP-1, Magnifying Eyepiece DK-17M, AC Adapter EH-6, Capture NX 2 Software, Camera Control Pro 2 Software, Image Authentication Software
1. IX- NIKKOR lenses cannot be used.
2. Excluding AF- NIKKOR lenses for F3AF.
3. Supplied accessories may differ depending on country or area.
4. Product name varies according to region, depending on local frequency channels available.
Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.
©2009 NIKON CORPORATION